File a missing persons report
Contact a local police agency and file a missing persons report. Please note that according to State law a police agency may NOT refuse to file a missing persons report done in person for ANY reason.
See 50 ILCS 722 Missing Persons Identification Act for more information.
Register missing person with online databases
Most online databases require a missing persons report. Good photos are essential!
- Namus - accepts children and adults
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children - only accepts children
And don't forget any other non-profits or Facebook pages too, like us of course, but also:
Create and/or share info on social media
Most of the online databases listed above will create a post if you ask about your loved one. Once that is done, share that across social media outlets. The more awareness, the better.
Contact relevant non-profits that could help in search
When a loved one is missing, you should let someone else help, if you can, to start working on organizing search parties or creating and handing out flyers.
- Missing Person Awareness Network, NFP (can aid in search, organizing, flyers, and also coordinating with other non-profits and Law Enforcement)
- Central K9 Search and Rescue (can aid in search with their trained search dogs)
- Victim Found K9 Search & Rescue
- Team Watters Sonar Search & Recovery (for searching bodies of water)
- Southern Illinois Search Team- 100% all volunteer search team that does it all (foot searches, boats, drones etc)
If you know of any we should add to the list, do let us know!
Please understand that after the info gets posted online, not all comments are going to be positive. We wish that were untrue but please focus on:
Providing necessary info to the online databases and correcting any false information out.
Some people just cannot help themselves and will post something negative, no matter the circumstance. We know it will be hard to do so, but please avoid interacting with the negative people unless you need to do so to correct false information.